Thursday, January 31, 2013

Project #2 Chair


Build











































I put together the majority of the chair today. I'm not quite happy with it though. As you can tell by the images there is a twist in the backrest that I haven't yet been able to work out. It partly has to do with the wood being warped but it is also liked to the balancing of the legs and where the seat pan rests on them. This in fact turned out to be a critical portion of the making of this chair. A lot of little tweaking on one leg led to shifts in the others and I'd have to readjust it all again. The tape that you see in the images is to help me reassemble it again so I know where everything goes. What I'll also do the next time I assemble it will be to measure everything out based on what they're already marked at. I would also like to drop the front legs a little bit to make the seat pan more level with the ground but it'll also push the center of gravity away from the back legs and that should make it more stable. I'd also like to make the seat pan larger as it's a bit of a tight fit at the moment. I have an idea to use the shelf pinching idea along with the natural torquing that happening at the seat pan joint to pinch boards that run perpendicular to the orientation of the seat pan boards currently. This will allow me to better control the size of the new seat pan so that it is more comfortable. It'll also be held tighter once someone sits in it due to the re-bar pinching the boards. I'll also have to grind down the feet of the re-bar so that it can slide, spread and more tightly pinch the wood. Currently the feet dig into what they're sitting on rather than trying to splay out.














Here is a comparison between how the legs can be set. The seat pan in the left image is obviously set much higher than the right


















No comments:

Post a Comment